jueves, 24 de septiembre de 2009

First View of Granada

The view of Granada and some of the Alhambra from the view of Cristobal Colombus in the old arabic part of Granada.



Home Sweet Home

After Toledo, we went directly to Granada, and I was able to meet Carmen, my host senora, for the first time. The apartment is small, but it's very homey. Well, in reality, almost everything is smaller here (cars, streets, rooms, etc.) I have my own room, which is pictured above. At first I was having a hard time understanding Carmen, but after being here for awhile, my ear is getting accustomed to her speaking. I understand her now more often than not, which is a relief. For quite awhile (and still sometimes recently), I had decided that learning this language was quite impossible for me.


Anyways, there is no air conditioning in the house, or many places for a matter of fact. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be actually, considering how hot it was in the beginning (upper 90's). Still, my window is open at all times (not many screens here either), and for awhile, I slept without blankets.


The food here is great, but senoras do not take no for an answer when it comes to eating. Carmen feeds me so much food that it's a job to eat sometimes. It is not often that I am hungry here. Here is another thing that is different from the States: people don't snack here near as much as in the States.


I really enjoy my classes here, but I am almost done with my first set of courses. I feel like I have learned a lot already, but I also am always forgetting the new vocab that I've learned. I am done with class at 1 and have the rest of the day to myself, which is great.


Night life is also much more intense here than in the US. Clubs don't open here until 2 or 3 in the morning. It is not uncommon to stay out until 6 or 7 on the weekends. Yes, in the morning. And the clubs and bars are usually packed, as in its hard to walk around because there are so many people. But I am really enjoying myself here.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario